- On Jan. 31, 2023, 11:06 p.m.
Merzouga desert overview
Merzouga desert is located at:
- 562 kilometers from Marrakesh, and it takes between 9 and 10 hours to reach it by road. This is why the trip to Merzouga from Marrakech usually takes place in two stages. It is the most popular desert in Morocco with its golden sands, and it is the most visited by travelers who have more time to enjoy this adventure. The trip to Merzouga desert takes at least 3 days and 2 nights.
- 463 kilometers from Fez, and it takes between 7 and 9 hours to reach it by car.
- About 660 kilometers from the city of Casablanca.
- About 788 kilometers from the city of Tangier.
In this desert you can enjoy large sand dunes over 150 meters high. You can also watch the sunset while riding a camel through the dunes. If all this is not enough to make this trip unforgettable, there is still a trip to the luxury tent. Here you can admire the starry desert sky. Seeing the Milky Way while lying on the sand dunes is something you will never forget.
The culture and cooking in Merzouga, Morocco is influenced by the local Berber people and the desert environment. The Berbers have lived in the area for centuries, and their traditions and customs are deeply rooted in their way of life and the environment.
Food in Merzouga is primarily based on traditional Berber dishes, using ingredients such as dates, almonds, and spices. One popular dish is Tagine, a slow-cooked stew made with meat, vegetables, and spices, served with bread or couscous. Visitors can try this and other traditional Berber dishes in local restaurants or at home-style cooking experiences.
The culture in Merzouga is centered around hospitality and community, with a strong emphasis on family and tradition. Visitors can observe this firsthand by visiting local villages, where they can learn about traditional Berber crafts like weaving and pottery, and see how these traditions are still practiced today.
Music is also an important part of the culture in Merzouga, with traditional Berber music and dance playing a big role in celebrations and gatherings. Visitors can attend a local music festival or see a live performance in one of the many cafes and bars in the area.
also, the weather in Merzouga can be challenging in the summer, but the stunning desert landscape and unique cultural experiences make it well worth the effort. With proper preparation and a bit of caution, visitors can enjoy all that this amazing region has to offer.
Overall, a visit to Merzouga offers a unique and immersive experience, where visitors can learn about the local culture, taste traditional food, and witness the beauty of the desert landscape and its people.
It's a matter of time as we said before, choosing to go to one area or another in the desert largely depends on the time you will spend there.
If you have any desire to make one of the most magical trips in Morocco and suit your vacation, we advise you to read some of the tours proposed by our agency or contact us.
- On Jan. 31, 2023, 11:06 p.m.